Monday, October 30, 2006

Election 2006: Notes from the Campaign

Here’s an update from Erin, another volunteer, on her efforts to organize election monitors:

I've always been interested in politics, but I've never done any campaigning before this year. My involvement in the electoral process (aside from voting!) was limited to updating the "results blackboard" outside the courthouse as precincts were counted in my hometown in rural South Carolina. But during this important election year I decided to organize some law school friends to spend fall break campaigning. The experience I've had here over the past week has got me hooked.

Since my family now lives in Virginia, it was really a no-brainer to choose Virginia. It not only has one of the country's closest Senate races. It also offers us a chance to show that the Republican party can’t take Southerners like me for granted. When the "macaca" scandal and ensuing media frenzy fixed the nation's eye on Virginia, my friends and I decided to take part in the last push for this exciting race.

To be honest, I expected to get to Arlington and start canvassing, lit-dropping, or phone banking. Isn't that what temporary volunteers are supposed to do? We have done our share of that work, but we’ve also helped organize a group that is working with the state party to organize election protection efforts in Virginia. We email and call lawyers and law students to enlist them as polling place monitors on Election Day. Everyone’s excitement about the project has been infectious. I'm visiting my parents in Lynchburg now, but constantly sneaking away to make more phone calls or check in with the campaign!

Not everyone has been able to volunteer (hey, lawyers are working people too!), but I’ve been impressed by the level of enthusiasm and involvement with the issues. I’ve spoken with Virginians who are already committed to "Get Out the Vote" efforts or "Vote No on #1" groups. There are even informal groups of lawyers in some of the tiniest Virginia towns who have organized and trained themselves as election monitors. Now that’s what I call civic responsibility. What I'm seeing is that "real Virginians" are concerned about the electoral process in this state, and they are invested in making sure the process is fair and accurate.

I vote in Virginia, in the 5th district, but I’m still relatively new to the area (my parents moved while I was in college). But speaking with people who are making a difference all over this state makes me proud to be a Virginian. If you're like me, I hope you'll click the "sign me up" link on this page and get involved. It's minimal time commitment for a HUGE payoff!

Finally, kudos to all the people here on the ground who are taking time out from partisan politics to make sure that ALL voters have a fair chance to cast their vote. You guys are amazing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home